Wyandot County, Ohio Genealogy
Wyandot County, Ohio ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you find your own Wyandot Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by building a Free Family Tree.
Wyandot County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.co.wyandot.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: February 3, 1845 from Crawford County, Hancock County, Hardin County and Marion County
- County Seat: Upper Sandusky
- Named After: Wyandot Indians
- Bordering Counties: Seneca County (north), Crawford County (east), Marion County (south), Hardin County (southwest), Hancock County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Upper Sandusky, Carey, Harpster, Kirby, Marseilles, Nevada, Sycamore, Wharton.
- Townships Include Antrim, Crane, Crawford, Eden, Jackson, Marseilles, Mifflin, Pitt, Richland, Ridge, Salem, Sycamore, Tymochtee..
- Other localities Include Include McCutchenville
Wyandot County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wyandot County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Ohio Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wyandot County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 414, Upper Sandusky, OH 43351-0414; Wyandot County Chapter, OGS meets the third Monday of each month at 6:30pm; at the Upper Sandusky Community Library January, March, April, May, June, August, October; February off site; July Picnic at Stepping Stones Park; November, Pioneer Banquet. The Wyandot County Tracers preserves Wyandot County's genealogical history with holdings housed in the Heritage Room of the Upper Sandusky Library.
- Wyandot County Historical Society, PO Box 372, Upper Sandusky, OH 43351-0372; Phone: (419) 294-3857; The Wyandot County Historical Society preserves the history and culture of Wyandot County and provides an educational experience for area schoolchildren in its 1853 McConnell House Museum.
- Mohawk Historical Society, PO Box 336, Sycamore, OH 44882-0336
- Wyandot County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Wyandot County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wyandot County
- Wyandot County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wyandot County
Wyandot County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Wyandot County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Wyandot County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Wyandot County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Wyandot County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 109 S., Sandusky Ave., Upper Sandusky 43351-1497
- Phone: (419) 294-3836
- Wyandot County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-294-2300
- Marriage Records: 1845
- Probate Records: 1845
- Wyandot County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-294-1442
- Land Records: 1826
- Wyandot County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-294-1432
- Court Records: 1845
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Wyandot County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wyandot County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Wyandot County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wyandot Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wyandot Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wyandot Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wyandot Co. OH Census Records
Wyandot Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wyandot Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Wyandot Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wyandot Co. OH General and History Websites
- Wyandot County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- The History of Wyandot County, Ohio : containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, churches, schools, etc., genera (search.ancestry.com)
- Wyandot County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Wyandot County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Wyandot Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Wyandot County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Wyandot County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Wyandot (cyndislist.com)
- Wyandot Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Wyandot County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Wyandot Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Wyandot Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Wyandot Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wyandot Co. OH Military Records
AlpineWyandot Co. OH Schools & Directories