Warren County, Ohio Genealogy
Warren County, Ohio ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you find your own Warren Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by building a Free Family Tree.
Warren County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.co.warren.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: May 1, 1803 from Hamilton County
- County Seat: Lebanon
- Named After: General Joseph Warren (1741-1775), a Revolutionary War officer
- Bordering Counties: Montgomery County (northeast), Greene County (east), Clinton County (south), Clermont County (south), Hamilton County (west), Butler County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Carlisle, Franklin, Lebanon, Loveland, Mason, Middletown, Monroe, Springboro, Blanchester, Butlerville, Corwin, Harveysburg, Maineville, Morrow, Pleasant Plain, South Lebanon, Waynesville.
- Townships Include Clearcreek, Deerfield, Franklin, Hamilton, Harlan, Massie, Salem, Turtlecreek, Union, Washington, Wayne.
- Other localities Include Five Points, Hunter, Landen, Loveland Park. Other localities Include Beedles Station, Blue Ball, Cozaddale, Crosswick, Dallasburg, Dodds, Fosters, Greentree Corner, Hagemans Crossing, Hammel, Hillcrest, Hopkinsville, Kings Mills, Mathers Mill, Middletown Junction, Murdoch, Oregonia, Red Lion, Ridgeville, San Mar Gale, Twenty Mile Stand, Zoar
Warren County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Warren County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Ohio Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Warren County Chapter, OGS, 406 Justice Drive, Lebanon, OH 45036; Warren County Chapter, OGS meets at Phillippi Hall, Otterbein Home on the third Wednesday of each month.
- Warren County Historical Society, 105 S Broadway, Lebanon, OH 45036-1707; Phone: (513) 932-1817; The Warren County Historical Society maintains its museum with a concentration on 19th century exhibits which features the Robert and Virginia Jones Shaker Gallery and a large library/archives emphasizing local history and genealogy.
- Carlisle Area Historical Society, P O Box 8261, 453 Park Dr, Carlisle, OH 45005-8261; Phone: (937) 746-6704;
- Franklin Area Historical Society, 302 Park Ave, Franklin, OH 45005-3549; Phone: (937) 746-8295; The Franklin Area Historical Society operates the Harding Museum, the former home of General E. Forrest Harding. The Museum contains military and local history exhibits.
- Harveysburg Community Historical Society, PO Box 105, Harveysburg, OH 45032-0105; Phone: (513) 897-6195; The Harveysburg Historical Society collections include letters and pictures of the site when it operated a "free black" school before 1900, as well as other area memorabilia. They have oral histories of local citizens, clothing, books used in early 1900s, and newspaper clippings of events and people.
- Mason Historical Society, 207 W Church St, Mason, OH 45040-1607; Phone: (513) 398-6750; The Mason Historical Society presents oral and photographic programs on the history of Mason to area schools. The organization maintains the renovated Alverta Green Museum.
- Springboro Area Historical Society, 110 S Main St, Springboro, OH 45066-0005; Phone: (937) 748-1053; The Springboro Area Historical Society sponsors active programs in preservation, genealogy, cemetery reclamation, community history, crafts and a Speakers Bureau. The Society's particular focus is the Underground Railroad.
- Springboro Historical Commission, 320 W Central Ave, Springboro, OH 45066-1106; Phone: (937) 748-4343; The Springboro Historical Commission has seven commissioners. Its jurisdiction is community wide and activities include Issue Review and Historic Restoration.
- Village of Waynesville, 1400 Lytle Rd, Waynesville, OH 45068-8482; Phone: (513) 897-8015; The Waynesville Historical Preservation Board has seven commissioners. Its jurisdiction is community wide and activities include Landmark Designation, Design Review, Surveys, Plaque or Marker Program, and Publications. The Board manages the Accommodation Line Ohio Scenic Byway Visitor's Center in an historic building listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Byway Route retraces 10.4 miles of a stagecoach line that ran between Springfield and Cincinnati in the 1820's.
- Warren County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Warren County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Warren County
- Warren County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Warren County
Warren County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Warren County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Warren County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Warren County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Warren County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 320 E., Silver St., Lebanon 45036-1816
- Phone: (513) 932-4040
- Warren County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 570 Justice Drive, Lebanon, Ohio 45036
- Phone: 513-695-1180
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1803
- Warren County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 406 Justice Drive, Lebanon, OH 45036
- Phone: 513-695-1140
- Land Records: 1795
- Warren County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 500 Justice Drive, Lebanon Ohio 45036
- Phone: 513-695-1346
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Ohio Historical Records
- Databases include Ohio Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Ohio Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Ohio Voter Lists & Census Records; Ohio Immigration & Emigration Records; Ohio Obituary Records; Ohio Military Records; Ohio Family Tree Records; Ohio Pictures; Ohio Stories, Memories & Histories; Ohio Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Warren County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Warren County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Warren County genealogy or family history related sites.
Warren Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Warren Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Warren Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Warren Co. OH Census Records
Warren Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Warren Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Warren Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Warren Co. OH General and History Websites
Warren Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Warren Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Warren Co. OH Military Records
AlpineWarren Co. OH Schools & Directories