Seneca County, Ohio Genealogy
Seneca County, Ohio ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you find your own Seneca Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by building a Free Family Tree.
Seneca County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.seneca-county.com/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1820 from Huron County and Sandusky County (Organized in 1824)
- County Seat: Tiffin
- Named After: Seneca Indians, who had a reservation in the county area at the time
- Bordering Counties: Sandusky County (north), Huron County (east), Crawford County (southeast), Wyandot County (southwest), Hancock County (west), Wood County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Bellevue, Fostoria, Tiffin, Attica, Bettsville, Bloomville, Green Springs, New Riegel, Republic.
- Townships Include Adams, Big Spring, Bloom, Clinton, Eden, Hopewell, Jackson, Liberty, Loudon, Pleasant, Reed, Scipio, Seneca, Thompson, Venice.
- Other localities Include Alvada, Bascom, Flat Rock, Kansas, Melmore, Old Fort
Seneca County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Seneca County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Ohio Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Seneca County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 157, Tiffin, OH 44883-0157; Phone: (740) 354-3760; Seneca County Chapter, OGS meets at the Tiffin-Seneca Public Library, 77 Jefferson St., Tiffin, OH on the first Tuesday of each month except July, August, and December. This OGS Chapter aids individuals in their research and publishes genealogical material.
- Seneca County Historical Society, 72 Riverlea Pk, Tiffin, OH 44883-1604; Phone: (419) 447-1834; The Seneca County Historical Society preserves and promotes the history of Tiffin and Seneca County.
- Attica Area Historical Society, PO Box 226, Attica, OH 44807-0226; Phone: (419) 426-3825; The Attica Area Historical Society is dedicated to preserving the history and traditions of Reed and Venice Townships of Seneca County. At present it has items in the Seneca East Public Library basement.
- Fostoria Area Historical Society & Museum, PO Box 142, Fostoria, OH 44830-0142; Phone: (419) 435-4664; The Fostoria Area Historical Society, housed in the former Fire Station and City Building built in 1874, exhibits the furniture and documents of Charles Foster used while he was 18th Governor of Ohio and later when he was Secretary of the U.S. Treasury. Additionally, it contains artifacts of the surrounding counties of Seneca, Hancock, and Wood. A rare antique automobile, the 1917 Allen Motor Car was made in Fostoria, and is exhibited along with a 1941 Seagraves Ladder-Pump Fire Truck.
- Seneca County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Seneca County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Seneca County
- Seneca County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Seneca County
Seneca County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Seneca County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Seneca County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Seneca County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Seneca County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 103 S., Washington St., Tiffin 44883-2352
- Phone: (419) 447-4550
- Seneca County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 108 Jefferson Street Tiffin, Ohio 44883
- Phone: (419) 447-3121
- Marriage Records: 1841
- Probate Records: 1828
- Seneca County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 109 S Washington Street Suite 2104, Tiffin, OH 44883
- Phone: 419-447-4434
- Land Records: 1821
- Seneca County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 117 E. Market St., Ste 4101, Tiffin, OH 44883
- Phone: 419-447-0671
- Court Records: 1824
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Ohio Historical Records
- Databases include Ohio Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Ohio Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Ohio Voter Lists & Census Records; Ohio Immigration & Emigration Records; Ohio Obituary Records; Ohio Military Records; Ohio Family Tree Records; Ohio Pictures; Ohio Stories, Memories & Histories; Ohio Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Seneca County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Seneca County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Seneca County genealogy or family history related sites.
Seneca Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Seneca Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Seneca Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Seneca Co. OH Census Records
Seneca Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Seneca Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Seneca Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Seneca Co. OH General and History Websites
Seneca Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Seneca Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Seneca Co. OH Military Records
AlpineSeneca Co. OH Schools & Directories