Richland County, Ohio Genealogy
Richland County, Ohio ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you find your own Richland Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by building a Free Family Tree.
Richland County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.richlandcountyoh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1808 from Franklin County and Knox County (Organized in 1813)
- County Seat: Mansfield
- Named After: Huron County (north), Ashland County (east), Knox County (south), Morrow County (southwest), Crawford County (west)
- Bordering Counties: Descriptive of the soil in the area
- Municipalities Include Crestline, Mansfield, Ontario, Shelby, Bellville, Butler, Lexington, Lucas, Plymouth, Shiloh.
- Townships Include Blooming Grove, Butler, Cass, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Mifflin, Monroe, Perry, Plymouth, Sandusky, Sharon, Springfield, Troy, Washington, Weller, Worthington.
- Other localities Include Newville, Olivesburg, Winchester
Richland County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Richland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Ohio Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Richland County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 3823, Mansfield, OH 44907-0823; Richland County Chapter, OGS meets at 7:30pm on the fourth Thursday of the month (except July and November.) Meeting places are announced in the newsletter. This OGS Chapter does not have a library. Materials about Richland County are being preserved. The Chapter's collection includes old slides and photos of Mansfield that can be viewed by appointment with a chapter officer. For Richland County research, use the Ohio Genealogical Society Library.
- Richland-Shelby Chapter, OGS, 611 State Route 97 West, Bellville OH 44813; Phone: (419) 347-6943; Richland-Shelby Chapter, OGS meets at the The First Church of God, 3616 St Rt 39S (just south of Shelby) at 7:00pm on the first Thursday of each month except July and August. The Richland County & Shelby Genealogical Society traces family ancestry and cultivates an interest in local and national history.
- Richland County Historical Society, 310 Springmill St, Mansfield, OH 44903; Phone: (419) 524-0831; The Richland County Historical Society operates Oak Hill Cottage, an example of Gothic style architecture. The Cottage contains furnishings and artifacts of a family's life circa 1847.
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 611 St Rt 97 W, Bellville, OH 44813; Phone: (419) 886-1903; The Ohio Genealogical Society's Library's holdings include more than 40,000 volumes relating to Ohio pioneers, Ohio census records and indexes, lineage, papers and more. They offer manuscripts, microfilm, CDs, databases on website, four journals, annual conference, and more.
- Bellville-Jefferson Township Historical Society, 167 Main St, Bellville, OH 44813-1239; Phone: (419) 886-3571; The Bellville-Jefferson Township Historical Society meets monthly and presents a program of historical significance and has exhibits.
- Butler-Clearfork Valley Historical Society , PO Box 186, 43 Elm St, Butler, OH 44822-0186; Phone: (419) 989-1679; The Butler-Clearfork Valley Historical Society offers 6,000 sq ft of displays dealing with local history as well as permanent collections of antique toys, wood carvings, decorative arts, and fine arts.
- Historic Preservation Commission Of Mansfield , 30 N Diamond St, Mansfield, OH 44902-1702; Phone: (419) 755-9793; The Historic Preservation Commission of Mansfield has twelve commissioners. Its jurisdiction is The Boulevards, Sherman Estate, and Local Landmarks Historic Districts. Activities include Landmark Designation, Design Review, Surveys, Plaque or Marker Program, Publications, Tours, Awards Program, and Grants.
- Plymouth Area Historical Society, 7 E Main St, Plymouth, OH 44865-1201; Phone: (419) 687-5400; The Plymouth Area Historical Society operates the Plymouth Heritage Center. The Society exhibits doctor's equipment and manufacturers' information on the first Plymouth car, Silver King Tractors, corn shellers, Plymouth locomotives, and Clay machines. A microfilm reader on the site offers access to microfilmed copies of the area newspaper, THE PLYMOUTH ADVERTISER.
- Shiloh Area Historical Society , 105 W Main St, Crestline, OH 448781445; Phone: (419) 683-1904; The Shiloh Area Historical Society maintains a museum with displays of artifacts of the area that includes Shiloh, Rome, Shenandoah, and Ganges.
- Sons of the Union Vets, Camp #12, PO Box 545, Mansfield, OH 44901-0545; Phone: (419) 522-3318; The Sons of the Union Veterans is a national organization of the male descendants of honorably discharged Union Army veterans of the Civil War. Camp #12 is named after General William McLaughlin from Mansfield.
- Richland County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Richland County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Richland County
- Richland County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Richland County
Richland County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Richland County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Richland County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Richland County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Richland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 50 Park Ave., E., Mansfield 44902-1850
- Phone: (419) 774-5550
- Richland County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (419) 774-5583
- Marriage Records: 1813
- Probate Records: 1813
- Richland County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-774-5602 or 419-774-5601
- Land Records: 1814
- Richland County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-774-5549
- Court Records: 1819
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Ohio Historical Records
- Databases include Ohio Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Ohio Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Ohio Voter Lists & Census Records; Ohio Immigration & Emigration Records; Ohio Obituary Records; Ohio Military Records; Ohio Family Tree Records; Ohio Pictures; Ohio Stories, Memories & Histories; Ohio Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Richland County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Richland County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Richland County genealogy or family history related sites.
Richland Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Richland Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Richland Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Richland Co. OH Census Records
Richland Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Richland Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Richland Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Richland Co. OH General and History Websites
Richland Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Richland Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Richland Co. OH Military Records
Richland Co., OH Schools & Directories