Miami County, Ohio Genealogy
Miami County, Ohio ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you find your own Miami Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by building a Free Family Tree.
Miami County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.co.miami.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1807 from Montgomery County
- County Seat: Troy
- Named After: Miami Indians
- Bordering Counties: Shelby County (
north), Champaign County (northeast), Clark County (southeast), Montgomery County (south), Darke County (west)
- Municipalities Include Huber Heights, Piqua, Tipp City, Troy, Union, Bradford, Casstown, Covington, Fletcher, Laura, Ludlow Falls, Pleasant Hill, Potsdam, West Milton.
- Townships Include Bethel, Brown, Concord, Elizabeth, Lost Creek, Monroe, Newberry, Newton, Spring Creek, Staunton, Union, Washington.
- Other localities Include Brandt, Conover, Phoneton, West Charleston
Miami County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Miami County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Ohio Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Miami County Historical & Genealogical Society, OGS, PO Box 305, Troy, OH 45373-0305; Miami County Chapter, OGS has regular meetings on the third Tuesday of the month, except July and August. The Miami County Historical and Genealogical Society is currently working on a reprint of the Miami County Atlas.
- Covington-Newberry Historical Society, 101 E Spring St, Covington, OH 45318-1532; The Covington-Newberry Historical Society has mostly local items on display and is open by appointment.
- Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library & Museum , P O Box 181, Pleasant Hill, OH 45359-0181;Phone: (937) 676-8771; The Newton Museum is dedicated to preserving the history of Pleasant Hill and Newton Township by displaying photographs, newspapers, furniture, school photos, band uniforms and features past merchant items and articles relating to the well being of Newton Township. Archives for "The Beery School of Horsemanship", local family obituaries and files are maintained in the History and Genealogy room.
- Rossville-Spring Creek Historical Society, PO Box 627, Piqua, OH 45356-0627; The Rossville-Spring Creek Historical Society protects the Randolph Village and cemetery.
- Tippecanoe Historical Society, 20 N Third, PO Box 42, Tipp City, OH 45371-0042; Phone: (937) 667-3768; The Tippecanoe Historical Society maintains the 1930 Post Office building as its museum. The Museum includes displays and a research library on the history of Tipp City, formerly called Tippecanoe City, and of Monroe and Bethel Townships. The Society conducts guided walking or bus tours of Old Tippecanoe City.
- Troy Historical Society , 100 W Main St, Troy, OH 45373-3214; Phone: (937) 339-5900; The Troy Historical Society operates a research library containing local historical and genealogical information for the use of the general public. The collection consists of combined materials from Troy-Miami County Public Library and Troy Historical Society.
- Union Township Heritage Association , 47 N Miami St, West Milton, OH 45383-1825; Phone: (937) 698-3820; The Union Township Heritage Association collects artifacts of Union Township. The Society of Friends (Quakers) settled in the area and established the first organized church in 1804 which is considered the parent church of all Quaker churches in the western United States. The Association maintains a log cabin replica of the church.
- Waco Historical Society, 306 S Ridge Ave, Troy, OH 45373-3012; Phone: (937) 339-5037; The Waco Historical Society preserves the history and artifacts of the Waco Aircraft Company, displaying them in its museum. The Museum also maintains a research library and a blueprint archives.
- Western Shaker Study Group, PO Box 67, West Milton, OH 45383-0067; The Western Shaker Study Group represents Shaker enthusiasts who focus on studying Shaker villages in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. The Group's programs include tours of Shaker sites and presentations on Shaker industries and individual Shaker towns.
- Troy Miami County Library, 419 W Main St, Troy, OH 45373; 937-339-0502
- Oakes-Beitman Library, 2 North Main Street, Pleasant Hill, Ohio 45359
- J.R. Clark Public Library, Local History Room, East Spring St., Covington, Ohio 45318
- Flesh Public Library, History Department, 124 West Green Street, Piqua, Ohio 45356; (937) 773-6753 voice,
(937) 773-5981 fax
- Miami County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Miami County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Miami County
- Miami County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Miami County
Miami County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Miami County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Miami County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Miami County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Miami County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 215 W. Main St., Troy 45373-3263
- Phone: (937) 332-6800
- Miami County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 201 W. Main St., Troy 45373
- Phone: Phone (937) 440-6050
- Marriage Records: 1807
- Probate Records: 1807
- Miami County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 201 West Main Street, Troy, Ohio 45373
- Phone: 937-440-6040
- Land Records: 1807
- Miami County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 201 West Main Street, Troy, OH 45373
- Phone: (937) 440-6011
- Court Records: 1804
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Ohio Historical Records
- Databases include Ohio Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Ohio Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Ohio Voter Lists & Census Records; Ohio Immigration & Emigration Records; Ohio Obituary Records; Ohio Military Records; Ohio Family Tree Records; Ohio Pictures; Ohio Stories, Memories & Histories; Ohio Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Miami County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Miami County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Miami County genealogy or family history related sites.
Miami Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Miami Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Miami Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Miami Co. OH Census Records
Miami Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Miami Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Miami Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Miami Co. OH General and History Websites
Miami Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Miami Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Miami Co. OH Military Records
AlpineMiami Co. OH Schools & Directories