Hardin County, Ohio Genealogy
Hardin County, Ohio ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you find your own Hardin Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by building a Free Family Tree.
Hardin County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.co.hardin.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1820 from Logan County and Delaware County (Organized in 1833)
- County Seat: Kenton
- Named After: General John Hardin (1753–1792), Revolutionary War officer
- Bordering Counties: Hancock County (north), Wyandot County (northeast), Marion County (east), Union County (southeast), Logan County (south), Auglaize County (southwest), Allen County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Ada, Kenton, Alger, Dunkirk, Forest, McGuffey, Mt. Victory, Patterson, Ridgeway.
- Townships Include Blanchard, Buck, Cessna, Dudley, Goshen, Hale, Jackson, Liberty, Lynn, Marion, McDonald, Pleasant, Roundhead, Taylor Creek, Washington.
- Other localities Include Dola, Hepburn, Roundhead
Hardin County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hardin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Ohio Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hardin County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 520 , Kenton, OH 43326-0520, Phone: (419) 674-4088, The Society's Genealogy Library is located at:, 211 W Franklin St, Kenton, Ohio ; Hardin County Chapter, OGS meets the second Monday of the month at the Kenton Moose Family Center, 801 W. Lima Ave. Kenton, OH except in June, a members picnic is held on the 3rd Saturday. No meeting in September and Government holidays. This OGS Chapter's holdings are housed in the Hardin County Library.
- Hardin County Historical Museums, 223 N Main St Rear, Kenton, OH 43326-1505; Phone: (419) 673-7147; Three historic sites (Sullivan-Johnson Museum and Burnison Farmstead/Agricultural Museum) feature permanent and changing exhibits devoted to the colorful heritage of Hardin County.
- Ada Public Library-Historic Preservation, 320 N Main St, Ada, OH 45810-1184; Phone: (419) 634-5246; The Ada Public Library collects and makes available for research archival materials of local interest.
- Hardin County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Hardin County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hardin County
- Hardin County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hardin County
Hardin County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Hardin County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Hardin County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Hardin County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Hardin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address:One Courthouse Square, Kenton, OH 43326
- Phone: 1-419-674-2250
- Hardin County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-424-7037
- Marriage Records: 1833
- Probate Records: 1830
- Birth / Death Records: 1867-1908
- Hardin County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-674-2252 or 419-674-2250
- Land Records: 1831
- Hardin County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 674-2256
- Court Records: 1833
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Ohio Historical Records
- Databases include Ohio Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Ohio Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Ohio Voter Lists & Census Records; Ohio Immigration & Emigration Records; Ohio Obituary Records; Ohio Military Records; Ohio Family Tree Records; Ohio Pictures; Ohio Stories, Memories & Histories; Ohio Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Hardin County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hardin County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Hardin County genealogy or family history related sites.
Hardin Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hardin Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hardin Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hardin Co. OH Census Records
Hardin Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hardin Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Hardin Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hardin Co. OH General and History Websites
Hardin Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Hardin Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hardin Co. OH Military Records
AlpineHardin Co. OH Schools & Directories