Greene County, Ohio Genealogy
Greene County, Ohio ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you find your own Greene Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by building a Free Family Tree.
Greene County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.co.greene.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: May 1, 1803 from Hamilton County and Ross County
- County Seat: Xenia
- Named After: General Nathanael Greene (1742-1786), Revolutionary War officer
- Bordering Counties: Clark County (north), Madison County (northeast), Fayette County (southeast), Clinton County (south), Warren County (southwest), Montgomery County (west)
- Municipalities Include Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville, Fairborn, Kettering, Xenia, Bowersville, Cedarville, Clifton, Jamestown, Spring Valley, Yellow Springs.
- Townships Include Bath, Beavercreek, Caesarscreek, Cedarville, Jefferson, Miami, New Jasper, Ross, Silvercreek, Spring Valley, Sugarcreek, Xenia..
- Other localities Include Include Alpha
Greene County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Greene County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Ohio Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Greene County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 706 , Xenia, OH 45385-0706; meets at the Greene County Library, 76 E. Market, Xenia, OH on the first Saturday of the month at 1:30pm unless otherwise noted. This OGS Chapter has genealogical holdings in the Greene County Room of the Greene County Library.
- Greene County Historical Society, 74 W Church St, Xenia, OH 45385-2902; Phone: (937) 372-4606; The Greene County Historical Society preserves the history of Greene County through the use of documents, artifacts, buildings, clothing, tools, and equipment. The Museum consists of three buildings--the 1779 James Galloway Log House, an 1876 Victorian era Queen Anne house, and the 1990 Carriage House Museum.
- Beavercreek Historical Society, 1368 Research Park Dr, Beavercreek, OH 45432-2818; Phone: (937) 426-4871; The Beavercreek Historical Society preserves structures of historical significance and develops and presents community education programs. One of the Society's objectives is to create a learning center for history education.
- Clifton Historical Society, PO Box 19, Clifton, OH 45316-0051; Phone: (937) 767-8182; The Clifton Historical Society has the Old Opera House, the original Post Office from Clifton, an Old School House and an old jail. The majority of homes and business buildings were built in the 1800s. The Old Mill was originally built in 1802 and celebrating it's 200th birthday the weekend of July 13-14, 2002. The Mill has the original grinding stones brought over from France.
- Historic Osborn Preservation Society, 16 E Xenia Dr, Fairborn, OH 45324-5025; Phone: (937) 878-2764; The Historic Osborn Preservation Society seeks to preserve the integrity of the original Osborn Community. Osborn's 250 homes were moved to their current locations as a result of the Miami Conservancy Flood Planning Prevention program.
- Jamestown Area Historical Society, PO Box 162, Jamestown, OH 45335-0162; Phone: (937) 675-5751; The Jamestown Area Historical Society was formed by fourteen interested citizens with a vision of their Opera House built in 1889 being renovated and returned to community service. Although work has been slow with many impediments along the way, progress is being made.
- National Afro American Museum & Cultural Center, PO Box 578, Wilberforce, OH 45384-0578; Phone: (937) 376-4944; The National Afro-American Museum and Cultural Center, a part of the Ohio Historical Society, is a joint project of the federal government and the State of Ohio. The Museum collects, preserves, and interprets African American material culture through a variety of displays that include the permanent exhibit. "From Victory to Freedom, Afro-American Life in the Fifties" featuring 22 feet high photomurals.
- Yellow Springs Historical Society, PO Box 501, Yellow Springs, OH 45387-0501; Phone: (937) 767-7516; The Yellow Springs Historical Society is dedicated to telling the stories of their diverse and fascinating village. They sponsor quarterly programs and special programs, publish books, and are beginning to collect papers and artifacts of their history.
- Greene County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Greene County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Greene County
- Greene County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Greene County
Greene County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Greene County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Greene County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Greene County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Greene County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 45 N. Detroit St., Xenia 45385-3199
- Phone: (937) 376-5006
- Greene County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (937) 562-5280
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1803
- Greene County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 69 Greene Street, 3rd Floor, P.O. Box 100, Xenia, Ohio 45385
- Phone: (937) 562-5270
- Land Records: 1798
- Greene County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 937-562-5290
- Court Records: 1802
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Ohio Historical Records
- Databases include Ohio Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Ohio Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Ohio Voter Lists & Census Records; Ohio Immigration & Emigration Records; Ohio Obituary Records; Ohio Military Records; Ohio Family Tree Records; Ohio Pictures; Ohio Stories, Memories & Histories; Ohio Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Greene County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Greene County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Greene County genealogy or family history related sites.
Greene Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Greene Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Greene Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Greene Co. OH Census Records
Greene Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Greene Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Greene Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Greene Co. OH General and History Websites
Greene Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Greene Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Greene Co. OH Military Records
AlpineGreene Co. OH Schools & Directories