Cuyahoga County, Ohio Genealogy
Cuyahoga County, Ohio ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you find your own Cuyahoga Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by building a Free Family Tree.
Cuyahoga County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.cuyahogacounty.us/
- Created Date / Origin: June 7, 1807 from Geauga County
- County Seat: Cleveland
- Named After: Cuyahoga River, which means "crooked river" in an Iroquoian language
- Bordering Counties: Ontario, Canada (north), Lake County (northeast), Geauga County (east), Summit County (southeast), Medina County (southwest), Lorain County (west), Portage County (southeast corner)
- Municipalities Include Bay Village, Beachwood, Bedford, Bedford Heights, Berea, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, Brook Park, Brooklyn, Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, East Cleveland, Euclid, Fairview Park, Garfield Heights, Highland Heights, Independence, Lakewood, Lyndhurst, Maple Heights, Mayfield Heights, Middleburg Heights, North Olmsted, North Royalton, Olmsted Falls, Parma, Parma Heights, Pepper Pike, Richmond Heights, Rocky River, Seven Hills, Shaker Heights, Solon, South Euclid, Strongsville, University Heights, Warrensville Heights, Westlake, Bentleyville, Bratenahl, Brooklyn Heights, Chagrin Falls, Cuyahoga Heights, Gates Mills, Glenwillow, Highland Hills, Hunting Valley, Linndale, Mayfield, Moreland Hills, Newburgh Heights, North Randall, Oakwood, Orange, Valley View, Walton Hills, Woodmere.
- Townships Include Chagrin Falls, Olmsted, Paper townships
Cuyahoga County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cuyahoga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Ohio Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cuyahoga Valley Chapter, OGS, PO Box 41414, Brecksville, OH 44141-0414; meets at the Independence Civic Center, 6363 Selig Blvd., Independence, OH at 7:30pm on the first Monday each month, with exception of January and September. No meetings July or August.
- Cuyahoga West Chapter, OGS, PO Box 26196, Fairview Park, OH 44126-0196, Cuyahoga West Chapter, OGS meets at the Porter Public Library, 27333 Center Ridge Rd., Westlake, on the third Wednesday of each month, at 7:00pm, with social time from 6:30-7:00. This OGS Chapter educates, preserves, and assists in genealogical research.
- Cuyahoga County Archives, 2905 Franklin Blvd NW, Cleveland 44113; (216) 443-7250
- East Cuyahoga Chapter, OGS, PO Box 24182, Lyndhurst, OH 44124-0182, East Cuyahoga Chapter, OGS meets on the first Monday of the month but not in months where there is an election. Meeting location is the Ross C. DeJohn Community Center, 6306 Marsol Drive, Mayfield Heights, OH. Meeting time is 7:30pm.
- Hudson Genealogical Study Group, Hudson Library and Historical Society, 96 Library St. Dept G, Hudson, OH 44236; Hudson Genealogical Study Group meets at 9:30am at the Hudson Library and Historical Society, 96 Library St., Hudson, OH on the second, third, and fourth Saturdays of each month.
- Southwest Cuyahoga County Chapter, OGS, 13305 Pearl Rd., Strongville, Oh 44136; meets at the Strongsville Old Town Hall, 18825 Royalton Rd. at 7:30pm on the second Thursday in January, February, March, April, May, September, October, November, and December. This OGS Chapter is one of the six chapters of the Ohio Genealogical Society located in Cuyahoga. The Cuyahoga Southwest Chapter is located on the Cuyahoga and Medina County Lines. The Chapters holdings are housed at the Strongsville Historical Village.
- Greater Cleveland Chapter, OGS, PO Box 40254, Cleveland, OH 44140-0254; meets at the Fairview Park Regional Library, 4449 W. 213th St., Fairview Park on the third Monday at 7:00pm of each month, except July and December.
- Western Reserve Historical Society Library and Archives, 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio, 44106; 216-721-5722 x 224, FAX 216-721-5702
- Cuyahoga County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cuyahoga County
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cuyahoga County
Cuyahoga County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Cuyahoga County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Cuyahoga County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Cuyahoga County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Cuyahoga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1219 Ontario St., Cleveland 44113-1603
- Phone: (216) 443-7955
- Cuyahoga County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 1 Lakeside Avenue West, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Phone: (216) 443-8764 or (216) 443-8765
- Marriage Records: 1810
- Probate Records: 1811
- Cuyahoga County Recorder/ Fiscal Office has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 216.443.7010
- Land Records: 1810
- Cuyahoga County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 1200 Ontario Street Justice Center 11th Floor, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Phone: (216) 443-8560
- Court Records: 1823
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Ohio Historical Records
- Databases include Ohio Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Ohio Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Ohio Voter Lists & Census Records; Ohio Immigration & Emigration Records; Ohio Obituary Records; Ohio Military Records; Ohio Family Tree Records; Ohio Pictures; Ohio Stories, Memories & Histories; Ohio Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Cuyahoga County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cuyahoga County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Cuyahoga County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cuyahoga Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cuyahoga Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cuyahoga Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cuyahoga Co. OH Census Records
Cuyahoga Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cuyahoga Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Cuyahoga Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cuyahoga Co. OH General and History Websites
Cuyahoga Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Cuyahoga Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cuyahoga Co. OH Military Records
Cuyahoga Co., OH Schools & Directories