Adams County, Ohio Genealogy
Adams County, Ohio ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you find your own Adams Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by building a Free Family Tree.
Adams County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.adamscountyoh.com
- Created Date / Origin: July 10, 1797 from Hamilton County and Washington County
- County Seat: West Union
- Named After: John Adams (1735-1826), second U.S. President and executive when the county was organized
- Bordering Counties: Highland County (north), Pike County (northeast), Scioto County (east), Lewis County, KY (south), Mason County, KY (southwest), Brown County (west)
- Municipalities: Cherry Fork, Manchester, Peebles, Rome, Seaman, West Union, Winchester.
- Townships: Bratton, Brush Creek, Franklin, Green, Jefferson, Liberty, Manchester, Meigs, Monroe, Oliver, Scott, Sprigg, Tiffin, Wayne, Winchester.
- Other localities: Bentonville, Blue Creek, Lynx
Adams County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Adams County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Ohio Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Adams County Genealogical Society, PO Box 231, West Union, OH 45693-0231; Phone: (216) 942-4624; The Adams County Genealogical Society collections contain all available Adams County records and any appropriate records from surrounding counties and other states. The Society's holdings are housed in the Adams County Heritage Center, maintained by the Adams County Historical Society (see separate listing).
- Adams County Historical Society, PO Box 306, West Union, OH 45693-0306; Phone: (937) 544-2258; The Adams County Heritage Center is housed in an 1835 Brick structure originally constructed for an associate reformed Presbyterian church whose congregation was involved in the Underground Railroad. The Heritage Center is home for the Adams County Historical Society and the Adams County Genealogical Society.
- Manchester Historical Society, PO Box 1, Manchester, OH 45144-0001; Phone: (937) 549-2033
- Serpent Mound, 3850 State Route 73, Peebles, OH 45660-9128; Phone: (937) 587-2796; Serpent Mound State Memorial, a site of the Ohio Historical Society, is the largest effigy mound in Ohio. Exhibits describing the site and its history are located in the Museum. Serpent Mound is located within an unusual geological area known as the Serpent Mound Cryptoexlosion Structure.
- Adams County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Adams County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Adams County
- Adams County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Adams County
Adams County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Adams County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Adams County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
. The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Adams county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The courthouse burned in 1910, some records were saved, some as early as 1796, others to 1799 including records of several countys before their inception
- Adams County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 110 W. Main St., West Union 45693-1347
- Phone: (937) 544-3286
- Adams County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 937-544-2921
- Marriage Records: 1910
- Probate Records: 1849
- Adams County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 937-544-5051 & 937-544-2513
- Land Records: 1797
- Adams County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 937-544-2921
- Court Records: ?
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Ohio Historical Records
- Databases include Ohio Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Ohio Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Ohio Voter Lists & Census Records; Ohio Immigration & Emigration Records; Ohio Obituary Records; Ohio Military Records; Ohio Family Tree Records; Ohio Pictures; Ohio Stories, Memories & Histories; Ohio Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Adams County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Adams County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Adams County genealogy or family history related sites.
Adams Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Adams Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Adams Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Adams Co. OH Census Records
Adams Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Adams Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Adams Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Adams Co. OH General and History Websites
Adams Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Adams Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Adams Co. OH Military Records
AlpineAdams Co. OH Schools & Directories